Yeah, I know Breakfast is the most important meal of the day…but you know, sometimes there’s just not time to do more than grab a granola bar and cup of coffee to swallow in the car…and as much as Cliff Bars and everyone advertises how healthy their products are, well…they are far from it. So…I LOVE finding good on the go breakfast recipes and it’s been one of my summer goals to test them out and find some good ones so we’re all ready to go come school time…and this is one I’ll be remembering for sure!
It comes from Sugar Free Mom and although I changed it up some (ahh mmm…improved it…in my opinion) it still pretty similar to her recipe. So…here we go:
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 2 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats- NOT instant!
- 1/4 cup ground up flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- Whatever kind of dried fruits, nuts or candies you want to add in (I used about 2 cups worth)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mash up the bananas and mix with honey, applesauce, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in oats, flaxseed, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Stir in the milk, followed by the dried fruits, nuts and candies you picked.
- Scoop into a lined muffin tin. They will not expand so you can fill it up as little or as much as you want.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Let them cool.